Are you a property owner considering a bathroom renovation this year? If so, you've come to the right place! This guide will cover everything from budgeting and planning to materials selection and labor costs.
Read on as we break down all that goes into a successful bathroom remodel.
The main factors affecting the bathroom remodel cost.
- Bathroom Size - The size usually determines the rate (a larger bathroom will require more materials and labor to complete the renovation project.)
- Fixtures and Finishes - The range of materials, institutions, and finishes for your renovation, from budget-friendly to luxury options, dramatically influences the overall cost.
- Scope of Work - Are you only replacing fixtures and finishes, or will you modify the floor plan by moving walls or utilities and possibly relocating a bathroom?
- Services - Are you only looking for construction services or need help from a professional designer or architect?
Let's begin with an example. We will talk about the variables later.
According to Angi, if you expect a complete renovation of a standard full bathroom without any layout changes and with essential general contracting services, these are the estimated starting costs for your project.
- Complete Bathroom Renovation Low-End Range: Starts at $2,500
- Complete Bathroom Renovation Mid-Range: Starts at $11,420
- Complete Bathroom Renovation High-End Range: Starts at $28,750
How does the size of your bathroom impact the expenses of the renovation?
Renovating a more extensive bathroom will typically cost more. Still, the total cost is not solely determined by the bathroom's size. The primary factor affecting the price is the number of fixtures and finishes, such as sinks, showers, and toilets.
- A half bath, also known as a powder room, typically contains only a sink and a toilet, with a maximum of 1-2 fixtures.
- A typical full bathroom includes a sink, toilet, bathtub, or shower. Usually, there will be 3-4 fixtures in a full bathroom.
- A primary bathroom usually includes a spacious vanity area with two sinks, a bathtub or shower, and a toilet. Generally, a primary bathroom has around 4-5 fixtures.
- A deluxe primary bathroom typically includes more than five fixtures, such as two sinks, a glass shower door, a double vanity, an extra-large shower or a shower and separate bathtub, and a possibly enclosed toilet.
When estimating the cost of bathroom renovations, it is imperative to consider the bathroom's size and layout. The remodel cost will depend on your preference for basic or designer finishes and bathroom type.
For instance, renovating a minor, full bathroom that measures around 40 square feet will cost between $2,800 to $10,000. On the other hand, larger restrooms with a tub, separate shower stalls, and double sinks that are 100 square feet or larger could cost anywhere from $7,000 to $25,000. So, be mindful of these factors when planning your bathroom renovation to avoid any surprises.
Bathroom Size (Sq. Ft.) -- Price Range
- 25 $1,800 – $6,300
- 40 $2,800 – $10,000
- 50 $3,500 – $12,500
- 75 $5,300 – $18,800
- 100 $7,000 – $25,000
How does bathroom design impact the costs of remodeling?
The term "finish level" pertains to the quality and cost of various materials and fixtures used in construction. Bathroom design includes flooring, vanity fabrication, fabrics, wall treatments, and models and brands of faucets, sinks, and other fixtures. Higher finish levels typically result in higher expenses.
- Budget Finish: budget materials for finishing projects are typically available from popular stores such as large retail chains or IKEA. These commonly include premade vanities and tiles costing less than $5 per square foot.
- Mid-grade finish: Mid-grade materials balance cost efficiency with material quality. This includes mid-end products from well-known brands, such as tiles, for $5 to $8 per square foot.
- High-end finish: High-end materials are typically custom and designer pieces that cost an average of $10 or more per square foot. These include exotic marble flooring, handcrafted vanities, and unique fixtures from specialized stores.
- Luxury Finish: Luxury finishes are typically designed by a professional designer or an architect. These materials can cost around $15 and above per square foot and include luxurious items, such as heated flooring, intricate wall treatments, and custom vanities.
Needing a High Quality Contractor To Nail Your Next Project?
We Have Decades of Combined Experience Building Bathrooms in East Tennessee. Give us a call to find out why we are the choice for so many home owners!
Cabinets and Shelving
When renovating your bathroom, storage cabinets, medicine cabinets, and vanities take up significant space and play a major role in the room's overall look. The cost of new bathroom cabinets can range from $300 to $42,000, with an average of $200 to $600 per unit.
Countertop Material -- Average Cost (per Square Foot)
- Ceramic $1 – $15
- Porcelain $3 – $28
- Laminate $8 – $27
- Corian $20 – $75
- Granite Slab $15 – $140
- Marble $15 – $190
- Stainless Steel $60 – $100
Shower and Tub
Tub and Shower Style -- Average Cost (Labor and Materials)
- Premade Shower Kit $600 – $1,800
- Walk-In Shower $4,200 – $8,500
- Tub-and-Shower Combo $600 – $10,000
- Tub-to-Shower Conversion $1,200 – $3,600
- Wet Room Conversion $2,000 – $30,000
- Cast-Iron Tub $400 – $1,400
- Acrylic Tub $700 – $14,000
- Cultured Marble $2,000 – $5,000
- Fiberglass $200 – $800
- Steel $200 – $1,000
Tile and Flooring
Tile and Flooring Material -- Average Cost (per Square Foot)
- Ceramic Tile $2 – $30
- Granite Tile $5 – $15
- Limestone Tile $2 – $11
- Marble Tile $8 – $90
- Slate Tile $4 – $15
- Travertine Tile $5 – $35
- Hardwood $6 – $25
- Vinyl $1 – $14
- Polished Concrete $3 – $8
- Wall-mount sink: $350–$650
- Drop-in sink: $60–$500
- Undermount sink: $170–$2,000
- Farmhouse sink: $360–$2,000
- Pedestal sink: $330–$730
- Vessel sink: $450–$5,000
Faucets and Plumbing
- Brushed nickel: $10–$25
- Matte black: $20–$40
- Graphite black: $20–$50
- Matt gold: $25–$50
- Bronzed gold: $50–$100
- Champagne bronze: $50–$100
- Two-piece toilet: $725
- One-piece toilet: $1,025
- Wall-mounted toilet: $675
- Low-flow toilet: $510
- Dual-flush toilet: $350
- Upflush toilet: $950
- Composting toilet: $900
- Smart toilet: $4,000
Extras and Accessories
- Towel racks (heated and non-heated): $100–$500
- Showerhead pricing: $125–$150
- Cost of installing cabinet hardware: $3–$200 per piece
- Cost of installing a bidet: $40–$1,500
Ventilation and Lighting
The price range for installing a new light fixture varies between $150 and $930. If you prefer a direct ceiling-mounted light, it can be as low as $90, while an antique chandelier may go up to $2,000.
Doors and Windows
Installing a new door ranges from $360 to $1,200. The price will vary depending on the type of door you choose, such as a pre-hung door or a customizable option like a pocket door. The trim will cost $2 to $3 per linear foot, and the hardware will cost an extra $200.
Paint or Wallpaper
Painting a bathroom typically costs between $50 and $100, whereas hanging wallpaper can range from approximately $2 to $6 per square foot for materials and $1 to $7 per square foot for labor.
Here are some standard fees for your bathroom remodeling team.
- Contractors cost: 10%–20% of your overall project cost
- Hourly rate plumbers charge: $45–$200 per hour
- Cost to hire an interior designer: $50–$200 per hour
- Cost to hire an electrician: $50–$200 per hour
- Hourly rate for HVAC repairs: $50–$100 per hour
Prep and Demolition
Including demolishing your old bathroom in your project will increase the overall cost by $1,000 to $2,300. It is essential to carefully review your contractor's estimate to ensure these costs are included. Specifically, confirm that the estimate covers expenses related to removing and disposing of old tiles, flooring, and fixtures.
The cost of local construction permits varies significantly depending on your location. For small projects, there may be no fee required. However, for more extensive construction work involving changes to plumbing and electrical systems, you can expect permit fees ranging from $100 to $1,000. Your contractor can provide you with an estimate of the approximate costs and handle the permit process for your project. Suppose you are located in Knoxville, TN, or the Carolinas. In that case, you can contact Green Home Installations for assistance.
Have you found the price information you need for your bathroom remodeling project? We hope we provided valuable insights and wish you luck renovating your bathroom!
Suppose you're located in Knoxville, TN, and the Carolinas, don't hesitate to contact us! We would be thrilled to work with you to create your dream bathroom.